Since Christmas we have seen all sorts of weather thrown at us from severe frost back to +18c as well as a very wet January and February.
March seems to have settled into a more benign and drier pattern and this is allowing planting and drilling of spring and summer crops to get underway at full speed. So let’s hope that this is the start of a lovely spring and summer after the dark lockdown days of winter. The severe frost we saw in February has affected some of our local leafy vegetables such as green cabbages and cauliflowers with most UK green cabbage now at an end but we will be soon looking at some new spring crops as the weather improves.
- All root vegetable will remain available and good value through March and April either coming from stores or protected underground until harvest. These include -Carrots/Parsnips/Swede/Leeks/Celeriac/Beetroots/Jerusalem Artichokes.
- Red and Whites Cabbages/Kale –Cavelo Nero (Black Cabbage) will be imported for a while towards the end of the month and through April until some new crop local starts – This will probably the case with all green cabbages as we go through the ‘hungry gap’ which is the end of the over wintered crops and waiting for the new spring crops to be ready.
- Local Spring Cauliflowers should start to come in through March and April and we are starting to see the first of those crops appear now.
- Yorkshire and local Forced Rhubarb will be available through March with outdoor local from around mid April.
- Heritage Potatoes – Ratte/Anya/Pink Fir Apple/Purple(Violette)- all available to order.
- Wild Garlic from our forager will be around until early May- look for our forager updates on social media every Monday
- Blood Oranges- until April- Still looking very good and colourful now.
- Seville Oranges for marmalade have now finished until next January.
- Purple and White Sprouting Broccoli spring crop should now be coming available but a little weather dependant.
- Local Bramley Cooking Apples, and Conference Pears still good from cold stores but prices will increase at little as the stored season goes on.
- Coxes apples have just about finished finished.
- Spanish Strawberries and Raspberries- should be very nice and good value in the coming weeks before the Dutch and UK crops start to appear.
Other more specialist seasonal items to consider to order only
- Crosnes/Nasturtium Root/Chervil Root/Parsley Root /Red and Blue Meat radish– Ask for availabilities on these items as they will be available to order and price on the day.
- Heritage Beetroots – should be available with some new crop Spanish Bunched becoming available now.
- New Season Wet Garlic
- Heritage carrots – White/Orange/Purple/Yellow should be available moving from UK to French and Spanish for the next couple of months.
- Chicory – Red and White
- Kohl Rabi
- Fresh Peas and Broad Beans in pods from Italy and Spain now starting
- Local Asparagus mid/end April until 21st June.
- Wild mushrooms- spring flush of St George, Mousseron, Ceps and Morels
- Jersey Royal Potatoes –Should be available mid March but will be expensive to start with.
- Local spring greens.
The Accent Fresh Team
– 15th March 2021