Summer is here!!!
Summer has arrived, and with it comes a number of seasonal fruits and vegetables that we are happy to see return to our warehouse.
Whilst the cold, wet spring has caused some gaps in crops and will continue to do so, things are beginning to even themselves out again and we will keep you updated as we move through the seasons on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Items to consider this June
Jersey Royal potatoes are still available but being replaced by Cornish and Local New Potatoes very soon, make sure to look out for Norfolk Peer washed new potatoes from Heygates farms at Swaffham! Old Crop Potatoes and Onions are showing signs of age but should be replaced by new crop sometime in July.
Local over wintered Carrots, Parsnips, Leeks and Savoy have come to an end, these are all being replaced by imported crops for a few weeks.
Blood Oranges and Purple Sprouting Broccoli are now finished along with Forced Rhubarb for another year, however we have some beautiful quality Baby Vegetables coming in which are mostly UK sourced and availability should be good.
Local Bramley Cooking Apples are still good from cold store, but prices continue to increase due to shortages from last year’s harvest; this remains the case for most types of apples.
Our local forager is also out and about in the countryside harvesting wild foods weekly for us such as Sea Vegetables, so if you are interested in discovering something new for your menus, please contact our sales team for more information.
Seasonal Must Haves
- Local Asparagus is still available until 21st June, so give us a call now to get yours.
- Local Strawberries and Raspberries are coming through great, with Blueberries and Blackberries arriving from the beginning of July.
- Gooseberries, Blackcurrants, Whitecurrants and Pink Gooseberries are becoming available for a short period.
- Locally grown outdoor Rhubarb.
- Stone fruits like Nectarines, Peaches, Cherries and Apricots are also now in season and almost at their best.
- Leafy Salads – locally grown and high quality.
- Fresh Peas and Broad Beans in pods from Italy / Spain will be changing to locally grown.
- Spring Pointed Cabbage, Broccoli and Cauliflower have now come in, although Cauliflower may be a little short at the beginning of the month as the crop catches up.
- Local Bunched Beetroots – Talk to us about Red, Gold and Candy.
As always, we have our thriving dry store, dairy section with local and global cheeses, our fresh bakery and more sauces than you can shake a stick at so check us out or call 01366 386633 to request a full stock list!